The Texas Association of Health Plans (TAHP) is the statewide trade association representing commercial and Medicaid health plans operating in Texas. TAHP is seeking a communications and policy Advisor starting Summer 2020, to assist with day-to-day communications and office operations, including primarily, daily communication with our membership, legislators and their staffers, as well as the general public.
TAHP seeks a dynamic self-starter to assist in communications, policy and membership efforts and general office tasks for the association. This is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of health care communications and policy, from keeping TAHP members apprised of developments in health care policy both on the state and federal level, to educating Texans about the basics of health care coverage and related health care issues, to communicating with members of the Texas Legislature and their staff on priority issues.
- Assemble and disseminate online daily health care news clips to TAHP membership
- Assist in planning, writing and managing weekly TAHP newsletter for members, the WIRE, and monthly topical newsletter, Complete Coverage
- Assist in planning, writing, editing, and managing content for TAHP social media advocacy campaigns
- Coordinate with TAHP’s communications director to monitor and generate content and ideas for TAHP social media platforms
- Monitor and prepare hearing and meeting recaps
- Schedule meetings, assist with meeting agendas
- Coordinate and update TAHP web sites when needed
- Assist with managing TAHP distribution list, email marketing & news clips list
- Collaborating with staff on new ideas, directions, and venues for marketing and communications
- Assist with TAHP events as needed
- Assist TAHP policy staff on projects as needed
- Coordinate and plan TAHP Food for Thought lunches or webinars
- Research policy issues, develop white papers and prepare ones pagers and powerpoint presentations
- Extremely effective communicator, both written and oral
- Working toward a college degree in communications or related degree
- General knowledge of health care policy is a plus
- Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space
- Must be computer and social media literate Knowledge of HTML and graphic design a plus
- Previous internship or related experience in marketing or communications is a plus
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with press, legislative staff and TAHP members
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
Benefits of Working for TAHP
- Regular communication and networking opportunities with executives and government relations professionals with major health plans such as Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, United and others, in addition to a variety of organizations and businesses that provide health care services
- Networking opportunities with legislators and their staffers at the Texas Capitol
- Opportunities to draft widely distributed communications materials read and shared by executives at leading national and TX health plans and health care organizations, including published op-eds, for personal portfolio
OCCASIONAL TRAVEL IS REQUIRED.
WORK ENVIRONMENT. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely interacts with association members, and guests. This position will be required to use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers. During the COVID-19 epidemic, TAHP has adopted a work from home policy. This still requires regular office hours. TAHP is currently evaluating if the routine will shift back to a traditional working environment or maintain work from home options.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK. This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m., however may require longer hours and weekends during the legislative session and TAHP events.
SALARY RANGE. $35-50K annually
OPPORTUNITIES FOR GROWTH.
- Tracking and analyzing health insurance legislation and regulations
- Policy research
- Creating fact sheets, issue briefs, talking points
- Creating newsletters, reports, and other member communications
- Assist with social media campaigns and strategies
To apply, please submit your resume and writing sample to Patti Doner at email@example.com.